The Sion Panvel Expressway is a 25km highway , connecting the city of Mumbai to Panvel via Navi Mumbai. It is one of the busiest and most important roads in the Mumbai Metropolitan Area and connects the city with National Highway 4. It is generally 12 lanes wide (6 lanes in each direction). The highway begins at BARC Junction Sion and stretches up to Kalamboli Junction Panvel .
Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation Ltd. as directed by Government of Maharashtra proposes to undertake the work of Widening and Improvement of Sion-Panvel Highway including construction of flyovers on BOT basis.
- The stretch of road from BARC Junction to Kalamboli Junction is about 25 kilometres in length.
- Total Project cost Rs. 825 Crore (approx.).
- Base Construction cost Rs. 675 Crores
The project consists of :
- Widening of the existing bituminous road to 5+5 lanes with concrete pavements.
- Central 3+3 lanes to be access controlled.
- The Service roads to be provided whenever required for about 6.29 kilometres.
- Provision of signal free passage for through traffic
- 3 new Flyovers at Uran Junction, Sanpada Junction & Kamothe Junction.
- Duplication of flyovers at Taloja and Chembur Mankhurd Link Road junctions.
- Pedestrian crossing Underpasses at 10 locations.
- Foot over Bridges at 3 locations.
- Geometric Junction improvements as per standards.
- Toll plaza at Vashi to be upgraded to 8+8 lanes, Toll fee at prescribed rates (current rate)and Toll period to be quoted by BOT Contractor.
- Landscaping / Beautification of entire project corridor including Median plantation, Road side plantation, Landscaping and Beautification below flyovers.
- Renovation / upgradation of existing flyovers, structures.
- Electrification of entire project corridor.
- Operation and Maintenance of Project Facilities up to the end of toll period quoted by BOT Contractor.